Grand Opening of the Sculptors Cabin at Guild Park
Originally built in 1940, but closed to the public since 1988, the Sculptor's Cabin will open once again to the public after nearly 30 years of neglect. Elected officials and Dorsey James, the last surviving resident artist who worked in the cabin, will be onsite for the official re-opening June 8 at 2:45pm.
As the Clark Centre for the Arts, scheduled to open in late 2020, takes shape nearby, the Sculptor's Cabin will act as a welcoming centre to the community, park visitors and artists at Guild Park. The City of Toronto and Guild Park Volunteer groups will be working together to animate and promote this space as a community resource.
Friends of Guild Park will host a special Members Only tour of the park and cabin after the grand opening. Annual Memberships may be purchased online in advance or at the event.
Dorsey James shows Julie Frost, senior arts consultant for the City of Toronto and John Mason, President of Friends of Guild Park, a sculpture he recently finished during a visit to the Sculptor's Cabin at Guild Park.(image by Dan Pearce/Torstar)