This year's Jane’s Walk at Guild Park highlights how citizens are revitalizing a Toronto landmark.
The walk describes how the park's 88 acres of nature, history and art are being transformed by volunteer-led activities, as well as by more than $25 million of new investment and major plans.
This walk starts and ends near the flagpole in the front grounds of Guild Park, 201 Guildwood Pkwy. Walk leader: John Mason, president of Friends of Guild Park
Walk Background: In 1932, the site became the Guild of All Arts, a cooperative community for artists, sculptors and artisans. The Guild Inn was added to host local guests, tourists and international celebrities.
"The Guild" - as it was known - later became the heart for the local neighbourhood of Guildwood Village. This community plans were based on the "Garden Village" concepts of the early 1900s, which went on to influence the thinking of Jane Jacobs.
The original site also became an outdoor public gallery for art and architectural fragments - preserved after the original buildings were demolished
The legacy of the Guild was almost lost after the site became public property in 1978. After decades of “demolition by neglect” In 2012, community involvement began Guild Park's reversal of fortune and led to today's ongoing revitalization.
Accessibility notes: Limited benches are available along walk. Please bring drinking water. There may be uneven terrain, snow or ice, and/or poor drainage.
Public Transit: From the Kennedy subway station, take the 116 Morningside bus. The bus trip takes about 25 minutes. The bus stops right in front of Guild Park's front gates.